is an official Web site supported and maintained by the Office of the Indiana Attorney General.
Consumer Protection Division
Consumer Guide
File A Complaint
Search Consumer Protection Litigation
Senior Center
Telephone Privacy
Helpful Links
En Espanol
About Us
Consumer Complaints
General Consumer Complaint
Telephone Privacy Complaint
Gas Price Complaint
Gas Price Complaint

Filing a Complaint

Our office handles several types of complaints. If you are filing a general consumer complaint or a telephone privacy complaint you may either file a complaint online or download the appropriate complaint form. If downloading, you must complete, sign, print, and mail it, along with copies of all relevant supporting documentation to:

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Indiana Attorney General
302 W. Washington St., 5th Floor
Indianapolis, IN 46204

You can also request a complaint form by calling 800-382-5516 or 317-232-6330.

Helpful tips for submitting a complaint with our office:
  • A consumer transaction (such as a purchase) must have occurred before our office can investigate a complaint.

  • If you have documents to support your claim, it is important that you send copies of them to us. Please do not send original documents.

  • Our office will contact you by mail as your complaint progresses through the process. Please allow adequate time for our office to notify you.

  • You may be referred to another agency. Often another local, state, or federal agency will have the legal authority or more expertise than our office to handle a particular consumer problem.

  • The attorney general cannot act as your private attorney. It is the responsibility of the attorney general to protect public interests. In doing so, the attorney generalís office may file lawsuits on behalf of the state against companies that violate laws protecting consumers. The attorney generalís office cannot represent individual consumers when filing lawsuits nor can the office file a lawsuit whose only purpose is to recover money or property for an individual. In these instances, the consumer should seek legal advice from a private attorney, legal aid society or other organization. The following link provides information on free legal services for low-income and elderly Indiana residents: is an official Web site supported and maintained by the Office of the Indiana Attorney General.